Winter Is Coming

Written by Joy Mkhabela

Winter is approaching and I am really excited but I know many of my fellow Afro-Canadians are not. One thing I notice is how many of my peers struggle to integrate their culture into their day-to-day lives, which is understandable. How do you blend the warmth of your ancestry with the Canadian cold? Although it took a lot of trial and experimentation, our group – Afrocentrism, eventually learned a few ways to use our cultures to amplify our winter experiences, and maybe they’ll work for you too.

Lesson One: Shield yourself from the cold

I was in the eighth grade. It was 6 in the morning and I was waiting for the bus. The weather forecast said it was going to be chilly that day, so I was quick to buy a cozy coat and a cute pair of winter boots. However, after a few minutes of being nice and snug, a frosty feeling started creeping down my neck.

I forgot to bring a scarf. 

The next day I decided to wear a boring, bland winter scarf that kept me warm but lacked style. I don’t know what’s worse, freezing to death or wearing an ugly scarf. However, if you have ever been in a similar dilemma to mine, don’t fret we have the solution.

Use traditional scarves to shield you from the cold! The Ghanaian kente cloth is a great option. The kente cloth is a textile piece, inspired by the complex nature of a spider spinning a web, and is made of handwoven strips of silk and cotton. The cloth’s tight-knit weave pattern is strong enough to shield you from the cold while offering color as a  form of cultural expression. 

Featuring an Anakara Scarf
Photographer: Anna

The meanings behind scarf colours:

• Red signifies strength or political passion. 
  • Blue stands for peace, love, and harmony. 
  • Gold signifies the wealth and royalty of the nation as well as its people. 
  • Green signifies our rich ancestral lands flowing with fertility for agriculture. 
  • Black signifies spiritual strength. 
  • White signifies purity, and cleansing rites. 

Having been reserved for Ashanti royalty throughout Ghanaian history, hand-woven kente cloth is very expensive. Fortunately, many small business owners and seamstresses sell kente cloths at a range of reasonable prices. 

Lesson Two: Invest in Music

By the end of junior high, I had eventually learned how to style weatherproof, African-inspired winter fits. Although the right clothes keep you warm on the outside, Daniel Sango would say that “Music warms the soul.”

It wasn’t the holiday season until I heard my mom sing Benjamin Dube’s “This joy,”  Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas” or Nicole kings “My Redeemer.” And I will never forget the hour of my life I spent listening to Christmas  R&B music. Can I even claim it’s the holiday season if my sister hasn’t played Chris Brown’s “This Christmas” or Destiny’s Child’s “8 days of Christmas”?

Unfortunately, around the holiday season, I would get on the bus and hear all the cliche Christmas songs playing over and over and over again. Although these tunes bring me lots of joy on November first, by the one-hundredth time listening to jingle bells I would start to despise the school bus radio. But why listen to the same Christmas songs on repeat, until your ear starts to bleed when you can invest in some cute headphones that drown out the radio? From afro-beat to indie melodies, listen to some Christmas songs from all sorts of cultures and genres. Not only are they cute but they protect your ears from the cold.

Photographer: Joy Mkhabela

Lesson Three: Cuddle a Furry Friend

A Saluki descendant
Photographer: Joy Mkhabela

Eventually the partying will dial down and you’ll have to go home. Most winters after celebrating the holidays I would spend the winter at home with my family but this year is different. 

I’m in university. I’ve moved out. I no longer live with my family. So I decided to do what most young people do when they leave the nest. I have started searching for an adorable animal companion. My parents never bought my sibling pets growing up. When I was younger my parents used to tell me that I can buy all the pets I want… when I move out.

I wasn’t really sure what pet to buy but Clement Moyo, who simps for dogs, suggested that I should buy a Saluki, one of the first dog breeds. The Saluki originates from Northern Africa. Not only are these medium-sized dogs highly affectionate, but they do not shed a lot. Next winter I hope to be snuggling with an adorable Saluki descendant.

If you’re struggling to find the happiness of winter, maybe the trick is to connect with something new. Put on a Ghanaian scarf to bundle up. Buy over-ear headphones to keep warm and rock out to a different holiday beat. Find an adorable animal companion to snuggle with. Connect with yourself and conquer the cold!

Similar Posts